Monday, September 29, 2008

Death of the Freestyle


Over the weekend the World Series of Hip Hop took place MC Battle Royal. I watched footage of the first battle between E Ness and Mysonne. After the first 3 minutes I lost all interest but couldn't figure out why. Was my ADD flaring up? I just couldn't put my finger on it. Then i just hit me, it hit me harder than the stockmarket crash today. None of these cats were freestyling, it was so bad that the crowd knew the punchline and said it before the MC did!
What kind if $#it is that? What happened to the beauty of improvisation of life that Hip Hop was built on. What happened to dissing your oponenet on their poor choice of wardrobe? What happened to the cleaverness of Hip Hop. Over the last 5 years there has been a number of MC's, Rappers, Hip Hop Artists and others that follow a cookie cutter formula for success. Its sad to say, but their sucess instead of real actual talent merits their Dopeness, and Freshness. I really feel what Nas said that Hip Hop was dead back in '06. It was the truth that sparked many barbershop conversations and debates.
Well today I want to declare that the Art of Freestlyle is dead.
Now that that is in the open and on the table, it is time to identify the main suspects. In no particular order here are my choices.
Organization/Programing
Fight Klub
Freestyle Friday (106 and Park)
Smack DVD
Rap Stars
Cassidy
E Ness
Mysonne
Murder Mook
Juelz Santana
Cam Ron
Jim Jones
Young Gunz
Lil Boosie
Bow Wow
Solja Boy
Lil Boosie
Webbie
Birdman (BABY)

Who is on your List??? Let Me know, better yet who is holding it down?

1 comment:

#PraverbForever! said...

thank you very much for speaking on this topic...I had a discussion with a few juveniles awhile back and they are fascinated with Philly's freestyle battle scene (which I like as well)...I tried to tell them that most of those emcees spit written verses that have nothing to with dissing their opponent or no improvisation skill...battle rappers nowadays focus too much on scheme and theatrics as opposed to flow and substance...that is why I find serenity when I watch or listen to freestyles by Juice, Natural Elements, Wordsworth, Jin, Big L, Supernatural, Black Pegasus, Canibus, Wreckonize, Dos Noun, Eyedea, Slug, Swann, Immaculate, Thesaurus, Skillz, Black Thought, etc...I can go on and on...I like to study those who think faster then others without relying on pre-written jargon...thank you for this post...check my blogspot I added you to my affiliates.